The Department of Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering is a diverse and powerful faculty grouping with unique expertise in biochemical and molecular life sciences. The School is recognized nationally as well as internationally for its research quality and output and for training students to be industry-ready professionals. The graduates show peer-recognized expertise, sustained learning and adapting to an ever-changing domain of professional development and entrepreneurship.
The course broadly encompasses the study of the molecular processes of living systems and organisms. Specific areas include biological chemistry, metabolism, enzymatics, structural biology, molecular cell biology, molecular genetics, genomics, proteomics, bioinformatics and systems biology.
Started in 2002, the Department of Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering, has in a short span of time, established a unparalleled reputation in teaching and research. Having collaborations with AYUSH, Oushadhi, Universiti Sains Malaysia and various other reputed institutions, the department actively nurtures manpower development by offering 4-year B.Tech (Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering) and 2-year M.Tech (Molecular Medicine) courses. The highly competent and experienced faculties, with 3 Ph.Ds and 10 M.Techs/MSc-M.Phil, have inspired excellence, innovation and strong entrepreneurial skills. The students are exposed to domain-experts by way of attending to seminars, symposiums, workshops and conferences at national and international levels. The department has 10 specialized laboratories with modern equipment and qualified lab staffs for training the students. The students engage in carrying out in-house projects under the guidance of our dedicated faculties, which help them, foster scientific temper and technology-driven innovation. The students are further empowered with a department library with over 1500 reference books and international journals, as well as, a sophisticated computer lab enabled with internet connection. The extracurricular and nascent skills of the students are nurtured by the activities of the department association, BUDS.
The Center for Biotechnology and Nanotechnology (CBN) formed under the department has the primary aim to carry out applied research in areas, which will be beneficial to the industry and society in general. The Department has signed an MOU with Oushadhi, Thrissur and received government funding (AYUSH, GOI) for carrying out research in the field of Ayurvedic formulations. The student-exchange program and MoU with Univsiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia, has benefitted collaborative research and student research projects with prestigious probiotics research labs. The key areas of research & development activities of the department focuses on molecular diagnostics, genetic engineering, biochemical engineering, bioprocessing and biofuel technology. Notably, the institution has funded a project on human genome mapping of ethnic populations in Kerala to unravel the historical perspective of anthropological origin of races. The research findings have been published in international journals. The present infrastructure of the department includes PCR, Blotting apparatus, gel documentation, Biofermenter, trinocular research microscope, Inverted phase contrast microscope and magnified imaging system, deep freezers (-70◦C and -20◦C), UV-VIS spectrophotometer, GC, HPLC, automatic autoclave, viscometer, Lyophiliser etc.
The department has taken a lead in social responsibility and harnessing energy from waste by training neighboring households in the use of aerobic bins, conducting awareness programs and surveys in order to safeguard the environment from hazardouse-wastes and enhanced bioconversion of organic waste. The department has developed and implemented technologies that make the institution self-sufficient in hygienic cleansing products.
To nurture research oriented Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineers to address social needs.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
Program Outcome (PO)
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO’s)
Dr. Anoop Raj J R
Dr. Anoop Raj J R received his B.Tech degree in Biotechnology from Sahrdaya College of Engineering and Technology, Thrissur (Under University of Calicut, 2007), M.Tech in Biotechnology from VIT University, Vellore (2009) and PhD in Chemical Engineering from VIT University, Vellore (2013). He has got 10 Years of teaching and research experience.
He started his career as a Research Associate in Chemical Engineering Division at VIT University, Vellore and pursued his doctoral studies under the guidance of Dr. L. Muruganandam on Microbial degradation of Perchlorate from Industrial effluent and other sources.
He started his teaching career as Assistant Professor in the Department of Biotechnology at Mohandas College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram. In 2016, he joined as a Faculty in the Department of Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering of Sree Buddha College of Engineering. His areas of research interest include Environmental Biodegradation, Bioreactor design and analysis, waste water treatment, modelling and simulation.
He is a life member in Indian Society for Technical Education (No. LM 92237). Currently, he is guiding three Ph.D scholars under KTU. He has got 11 national and International publications, 9 GenBank Publications and more than 14 conferences publications.
The Department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering houses highly sophisticated state-of-art laboratory facilities that cater basic to advance research in Biotechnology, Life sciences and chemical engineering. The laboratories are designed to serve the academic curriculum, research projects and consultancy assignments.
The various laboratories in the department are:
1. Software Laboratory
2. Microbiology Laboratory
3. Biochemical Engineering Laboratory
4. Downstream Processing Laboratory
5. Reaction Engineering and Process Control Laboratory
6. Biochemistry Laboratory
7. Instrumental Methods of Analysis Laboratory
8. Molecular Biology Laboratory
9. Fluid Flow and Particle Technology Laboratory
10. Advanced Biochemical Engineering Laboratory
11. Advanced Genetic Engineering Laboratory
12. Research Laboratory
The Microbiology and Molecular Biology Laboratories are equipped with various Instruments like Lab Scale Fermenter (3L), Phase Contrast Microscope, Compound Microscopes, Autoclaves (Horizontal & Vertical), Rotary Drum Evaporator, Laminar Air Flow Chambers, BOD incubators, Shaker Incubators, UV-Visible Spectrophotometers (Single and Double beam), Cooling Centrifuges, pH meters, , Bacteriological incubator, Orbital shaker, BOD-incubator, Refrigerator, Hot air oven, Electronic Balance, Water bath, Chromatographic apparatus, Analytical balance, Water bath, Vortex mixer, Electrophoretic apparatus, centrifuge, refrigerated centrifuge.
The Downstream processing lab accommodates facilities like ultra sonicator, dead end filtration unit, cross flow filtration unit, viscometer, electronic balance etc. The Heat & Mass transfer lab houses experimental setups such as solid liquid extraction, double pipe heat exchanger, emissivity apparatus, vertical and horizontal condenser, simple steam distillation, liquid-liquid extraction in packed bed column, thermal conductivity of metal rod, simple distillation, heat transfer in agitated vessel, vertical and horizontal condenser units etc.
The Software laboratory contains 30 computers with process engineering simulation and optimization softwares like Minitab, Design Expert, Aspen, CHEMCAD, MATLAB etc.
The department has created two dedicated research facilities which houses advanced equipments like High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Gel documentation system, Double beam UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, Real time PCR, Inverted phase contrast microscope, refrigerated centrifuges, high speed centrifuge and basic equipment like electrophoresis systems (Western blotting and Southern blotting), CO2 incubators, deep freezers (-20ºC and -80ºC), Fluorescence spectrophotometer besides minimal infrastructure facilities in all laboratories, for teaching and research activities.
The laboratories continually support undergraduate, post graduate and doctoral research in biotechnology and chemical engineering and the continual efforts of the faculty are equipping the Laboratory further through research grants. Over the past couple of years, nearly INR 60 lakhs have been obtained as grants from Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, Ayush etc. The laboratory is virtually open on all days through 24 hours a day to enable full-fledged research activities.
1. Dr. Malu Ravi and Ms. Sheigha Pappachan received KSCSTE fund for the project proposal “Conversion of egg fruit to nutritional drink and study of its neuroprotective and antimitotic properties”, dated 23.09.2016 (for 6 months).
2. NPTEL – ELITE+ GOLD MEDAL WINNERS for the subject: Technical English for Engineers : Anju J, Gayathri G Kurup, Malavika Mukesh, Aswin Kumar and Basil Joseph
3. Ms. Reshma S (CGPA: 9.8) is the University topper in the BTech Batch 2016-2020 in the University examinations held by APJ Abdul Kalam Technical University, Kerala.
4. Ms. Anju C S, (MTech Batch 2015-17) has secured First rank in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering Postgraduate course offered by APJ Abdul Kalam Technical University.
5. Ms. Anju C S, (MTech Batch 2015-17) secured First place for paper presentation in a two day national conference on Eco-Friendly Technological Innovations for Sustainable Development (NCETISD) under the conference series E2F2 (Engineering Education for Facing the Future) conducted in Sree Buddha College of Engineering, Pattoor.
6. Mathew Joseph, Nayana U Krishnan, Vani P V, Shafna S, Anju J, Drishya G Chandran, Simi S Ebenzer and Badarudheen P A of ( S8, Batch 2013-17) received Best Paper award for paper presentation at ‘Parichay-2017’, a National Level Symposium organized by Department of Biotechnology Engineering, NMAM Institute of Technology, Udupi, Karnataka.
7. Betsy Ann Varghese, Narayanan Nampoothiri V. P, Aswathy P and Reshmi Thankappan (S8, 2013-17 Batch) won Best Paper award at National Level Technical Fest, ‘Colloqium’ organized by Mohandas College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram.
8. Anju J, Drishya G Chandran, Simi S Ebenzer and Badarudheen P A (S8, Batch 2013-17) also earned special mention at the National level symposium on Trends and prospects in Bioscience and Technology Towards Sustainibility , ‘Equilibria 2017′, organized by Sree Chithra Thirunal College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram.
9. Gayathri G Kurup and Malavika Mukesh have participated in prototype exhibition conducted at Infopark, Kerala.
10. Gayathri G Kurup and Malavika Mukesh have attended summer training at the Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati.
11. Extramural Research Grant : Dr. Jaya Mary Jacob, Assistant Professor, Department of Biotechnology & biochemical Engineering has received extramural research grant worth Rs. 48.48 Lakhs from the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India under the Biotechnology Career Advancement and Re-orientation Programme (Bio-CARe) for women Scientists. Under this scheme research activities on biotechnology interventions for quantum dot synthesis and their application for biosensor development is underway.
12. Sony K Cherian, Malavika Aji, Abhay J Mohan and Baliyapaadath Isaac Nixon secured Kerala start-up mission’s fund for prototype design of HALO WATERFILTERS project combined with college IEDC unit.
13. Ms. Merin Sara, Ms. Abitha, Ms. Aleena Jacob and Ms. Sruthy, students of S8, B Tech Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering won first prize for Innovative idea on Nano-engineered Tissue Paper towel product under the guidance of Dr. Jaya Jacob during the Ideathon contest organized by EC department in association with ETA Cell and IEDC, SBCE.
FACULTY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
1. Dr. Malu Ravi and Dr. J. R Anoop Raj attended Faculty development programme, (2016). A short term FDP conducted by ICT Academy of Kerala, 13th June – 15th June (3 days), Sree Buddha College of Engineering, Pattoor, Kerala, India.
2. Dr. Malu Ravi, Ms. Shamnamol G K and Ms. Lekshmi R Babu attended an online course “Use of ICT in Education for Online and Blended Learning” conducted by IIT Bombay from May 2nd – July 10th , 2016.
3. Dr. Manoj Narayanan attended one week training on “Life skills” at Younus College of Engineering and Technology, Kollam, during 18th – 22nd, July 2016.
4. Ms. Lekshmi R Babu attended two day national workshop on outcome based accreditation “New NBA 2015 format tier II for undergraduate engineering programme” 12th & 13th May 2016, Vidya academy of science & technology, Thrissur.
5. Dr Manoj Narayanan attended ICTAK International Conclave “Skills, Engineering and Technology (ICSET 2016)” June 24 & 25, 2016, at Technopark, Thiuvananthapuram.
6. Dr. Manoj Narayanan, Dr. Anoop Raj J R and Dr. Jaya Mary Jacob attended Foundation Program in ICT for Education conducted by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay from August 3 2017 to September 7 2017.
7. Dr. Jaya Mary Jacob attended FDP on Funding Your Research organised by Indian Society for Technical Education at Trinity College of Engineering on 13th June 2017.
8. Dr. Manoj Narayanan and Dr. Anoop Raj J R attended “FDP201x Pedagogy for Online and Blended Teaching-Learning Process” at SBCE (2 weeks, 2017).
9. Shamnamol G K attended workshop on DWSIM-open source simulation;4th National conference and workshop TECHSYNOD ’17 held at Mohandas College of Engineering and Technology on 19th December 2017
A talk on “Efface our e-waste”
Under PRABHODANA-“Enlightenment through Science”, a programme jointly organized by the Kerala State Council for Science, Technology & Environment and Sree Buddha College of Engineering, under Science Popularization Scheme conducted an invited talk on “Efface our e-waste” on 19th September 2018 at Pope Pius higher secondary school, Kattanam. The programme has the objective to evaluate and analyse the disposal behaviour and public perception/awareness on E-waste.
Sree Buddha College of Engineering, Pattoor celebrated the 51st Engineer’s day on September 18, 2018. The Institution of Engineers (India) students Chapter of Department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, Sree Buddha College of Engineering and The Institution Of Engineers (India) Kollam Local Centre jointly organized a one-day Seminar on the topic “Kerala Flood 2018 & Flood Management in Kuttanad Region” as part of the celebration. Dr. J R Anoop Raj, Head, Department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering welcomed the gathering and the function was inaugurated by Shri.K. K. Sivadasan, Treasurer Sree Buddha Educational society. The invited speaker for the day was Dr. Gopakumar R, Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Sree Buddha College of Engineering Pattoor. Mr. Madhav K (IE(I), College Coordinator) felicitated the program and Dr. Malu Ravi proposed the vote of thanks. The lecture was followed by ideathon contest for the students on the theme “Kayakalpa- An ode to mother nation”.
“ Seminar on “Environmental Management systems and Environmental Friendly Technologies and Total Quality Management and Statistical Quality Control Techniques Focusing on Zero defects” (PGIF PROGRAM)
Resource persons – Sri. S. VENUGOPAL, Deputy General Manager, HLL Life Care Ltd (Govt. of India Enterprise)
A one-day seminar titled “Environmental Management Systems and Environmental Friendly Technologies and Total Quality Management and Statistical Quality Control Techniques focusing on zero defects” was organized for the Second and first year M.Tech students under the banner of “PGIF” on 16.03.2016. Sri. S. VENUGOPAL, Deputy General Manager, HLL Life Care Ltd (Govt. of India Enterprise) conducted the session wherein he gave guidance to students regarding various quality control techniques. He gave a brief idea about environment Management systems Ms. Sheigha Pappachan of 1st year M. Tech BT & BCE gave the vote of thanks expressing gratitude to the participants and the resource person for the session. The students found the experience to be informative and enlightening.
Seminar on “The Recent Trends of Nanotechnology”
Resource person: Dr. Renu Geetha, Nottingham Trend University, Malaysia Campus
A one-day seminar titled “The Recent Trends of Nanotechnology” was organized for the Second and first year M.Tech students on 28.10.2016. Dr. Renu Geetha, Nottingham Trend University, Malaysia Campus conducted the session wherein she gave guidance to students regarding the use of nanoparticles and its application. She gave a brief idea about the opportunities of biotechnological research in India and abroad. Dr. Manoj Narayanan proposed the vote of thanks. The entire session was simply fruitful and eye opening.
Short term course on Food Processing and Preservation
Department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, Sree Buddha college of Engineering conducted a 2 months course (January 23rd – March 23rd, 2017) on “Food processing and preservation”. The objective of this course was to encourage skill development for people by providing a creative and outstanding training program. In this course, the participants were taught to make different food products and techniques for preservation. A batch of ten students has successfully completed the course and their certificate distribution was done on 10th May 2017. Sri. Sreekumar E N welcomed the gathering and presidential address was given by Sri. K K Sivadasan. Dr. S Suresh Babu made Principal’s address followed by certificate distribution by Sri. P Asokan Nair (Hon. President, Nooranad Grama Panchayat). The ceremony came to an end by a vote of thanks given by Ms. Rincy Susan Raju. The resource persons for the course were the faculty of the Department of BT & BCE.
Invited Talk on “CRAFTING IDEAS FOR INNOVATION”
Resource person : Mr. Sarju S, Nodal Officer, Start-Up Boot Camp, St. Joseph`S College Of Engineering and Technology, Palai, Kerala
The invited talk was primarily intended to create a powerful platform where young minds throw in their ideas in the brainstorming squads and collectively work out creative solutions to a real world problem! The objective of the session was to catalyze students from all fields of study to learn more about the complex challenges prevailing in the world, like food, education and health and inspire them to channel their passions and creativity towards developing new ideas that make a difference. Talk was conducted on 19/04/2017 by the Department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, SBCE. The welcome address was delivered by Dr. Jaya Mary Jacob. The students found the experience informative and enlightening.
Seminar on “Hazard identification and Risk Assessment”
Resource person: Prof. Dr. G. Madhu, Professor, Division of Chemical Engg., School of Engineering
A one-day seminar titled “Hazard identification and Risk Assessment” was organized by Biotechnology Union for Development of Society (BUDS) on 18.01.2017. The session was lead by
Dr. G. Madhu, Professor, Division Of Chemical Engg.,School Of Engineering. He gave a comprehensive talk on various methods of hazard identification and methods of risk analysis and assessment. The program was inaugurated by Dr. Giridhar R Nair, Head of the Department, Department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, SBCE Pattoor. Mr. Narayanan Nampoothiri V P, BUDS student representative, delivered the vote of thanks. The program was highly informative and inspiring.
ONE-DAY SEMINAR ON BIOENTREPRENEURSHIP
A one day seminar ‘ A E K A- Crafting the biotechnology based entrepreneurship was organized by the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre & Department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering on 15th September 2017. The core team from AEKA Biochemicals Pvt. Ltd- the first fully women owned biotechnology company in Kerala, addressed the undergraduate and post graduate students in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering regarding the various aspects of Biotechnology based entrepreneurship. Ms. Aardra Chandra Mouli, the founder and managing Director of AEKA shared her experiences in her journey towards the genesis of her successful start-up venture. In her address, Ms. Mouli unveiled the incessant career prospects in the field of biotechnology research and development and indicated that Kerala is already a hub to biotechnology start-ups. The students also had an interactive session with Dr. Aruna and Ms. Sinu Sunny, who briefed them about the various aspects in the research and production units of a biotechnology firm. An active participation was noted from the students throughout the session and the students had raised several queries to the resource personnel regarding the upcoming opportunities in the field and the stages in the growth of a start up.
ENVIRONMENT DAY (5th JUNE 2018)
The Institution of Engineers (India) students Chapter of Department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, Sree Buddha College of Engineering and The Institution of Engineers (India) Kollam Local Centre jointly organized one day Seminar on the topic “Environmental Challenges-ways to connect with nature” on 5th June 2018 in the seminar hall, Civil Block, SBCE, Pattoor. Dr. Thankamony (Retd) of the Environmental Engineering Division of College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram (CET) (Indira PriyadarshiniVrikshamitra Award winner a national honour for tree lovers, for the year 2002) inaugurated the function. Subsequently, Er.Sivadasan.K was inaugurated a good initiative from the college students – bottle gardening and plantation of medicinal plants in the reusable plastic bottles.
The Dept. of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering has conducted one day technical expo “Biosfera-2k18”on 9th March 2018 in the conference Hall, Library block. Biosfera 2k18 focuses on accentuating the role of biotechnology and its interventions in daily life. The event includes student project exhibitions, demonstrative project expo, Stem cell collection and awareness program, technical talk on “Eco conservation of water bodies”, Awareness class on fire and rescue services and several other forums that highlight the importance of biotechnology for sustainable development. Biosfera 2k18 was inaugurated by Er. Biju Balakrishnan ,District Environmental Engineer, State Pollution Control Board (Thiruvanathapuram), The felicitations was proposed by Shri. K K Sivadasan, Treasurer, SBEC; Aby Sam John, HEAD- Donor Recruitment & Counseling, DATRI Blood Stem Cell Donors Registry. Ms.Shamnamol G K presented the BUDS activity report of academic year 2017-18. BUDS secretary Mr.Arun M P proposed vote of thanks.
NATIONAL CONFERENCE ON TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT IN BIOENGINEERING (NCTAB’18)
The Department of Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering has organized E2F2 series under the main theme of Technological Advancement in Bioengineering on 17-18 April 2018. The conference was aimed to provide insight on areas like Agriculture Biotechnology, Biomaterials, Biomedical Engineering, Bio nano-technology ,Bioprocess Engineering, Catalysis and Reaction Engineering, Energy and Environmental Engineering. We had 11 participants and they presented their papers and 19 participants were registered as coauthors. Prof.Fazil A, Asst.Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, TKM college of Engineering, Kollam was an external judge for the evaluation of paper presentation. The session was chaired by Ms.Meera Bai S, Asst.Professor, Department of BT&BCE, SBCE,Pattoor. Ms.Rincy Susan Raju (Faculty) won the best paper award and Ms. Sruthi Rajan (PG Scholar) secured second best paper award. The certificate and memento were distributed by Dr.Manoj Narayanan, HoD, and Department of BT&BCE.
As part of ASTRAL 2K18, Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering Department has organized mainly 4 events like Aventura, Ideathorn, Questionnaire, footmaestro, Transfusion music on 7th -9th March 2018. “QUESTIONNAIRE”, a quiz competition to find the general and technical knowledge levels within the students. Aventura the event was a game based on basic chemistry knowledge and it involved participation of B-Tech students from various colleges. The game consisted of three rounds. A non technical event named foot maestro (footsal) was conducted as a part of techno cultural fest Astral 2K18. Football Maestro is a futsal competition. Futsal, or futsala, is a variant of association football played on a hard court, smaller than a football pitch, and mainly indoors.
TWO DAY WORKSHOP ON “BIOTECHNOLOGICAL INTERVENTIONS IN THE CURRENT WORLD”
The Biotechnology Union for Development of Society (BUDS), Department of Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering, Sree Buddha College of Engineering, Pattoor organized a two day workshop “Biotechnological interventions in the current world” on 21-22, May 2018. This two day workshop focused on accentuating the role of biotechnology and its interventions in daily life. The students who participated were from 10th,11th and 12th classes of the near schools.
Dr Renu G, Post Doctoral fellow at American University of Sharjah inaugurated the program and gave a talk on Recent trends in nanotechnology. Treasurer K.K Sivadasan felicitated the program. Dr J.R Anoop Raj, (Head of the department) gave a talk on Recent trends in Biotechnology. On the second day Principal, Dr. S Suresh Babu distributed the certificates for the students.
The student association of the Department of Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering, ‘BUDS’ (Biotechnology Union for the Development of the Society) aims at nurturing the student leadership and overall personality development. As its name suggests, the motto of BUDS has been to encourage and promote activities beneficial to both the students of SBCE and the people of the neighborhood. Right from the inception, the association has been keen in organizing several state level and national seminars and workshops bringing in eminent personalities from Research organizations and industries all over.
LIST OF RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS IN SCI JOURNALS COMING FROM THE COLLEGE DURING 2015-18
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS IN CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS DURING LAST FIVE YEARS (AUTHORS NAMES, TITLE OF PAPER, NAME OF THE CONFERENCE, VOLUME, PAGE NOS., YEAR).